- The yearly risk in the United States of dying from a shark attack is roughly 1 in 250 million.
- The yearly risk of dying from a vending machine accident is roughly 1 in 112 million. Thus the vending machine is roughly twice as lethal as the shark.
- The risk of dying from a road injury in the UK is 1 in 20,000.
- The risk of dying from spine surgery within 30 days after surgery is 1.8 per 1000 patients.
- The risk of sustaining a spinal fracture in the United States from osteoporosis is 1 in 388 people.
- One of every four deaths in the United States is a result of heart disease.
- One of every 1,190,000 people in the US is struck by lightning and either dies or is injured.
- Nearly one in four Americans are projected to die from cancer
- 58% of adults have a bulging disc
- 80% of general population will experience back pain but only 2 – 3% will have sciatica
The question is, why are people so afraid of rare occurrences but not as concerned of the every day or commonality? Everyone needs to take control of their lives and actively pursue diet, exercise and smoking cessation. That’s the way to decrease the rate and appropriately deal with risk.
To learn more about Dr. Cotler or to schedule an appointment, please call us on (713) 523-8884.